Happy Cinco de Mayo folks! Tequila is probably the best recognized spirit of Mexico. Here are some interesting facts:
1. Tequila is the name of a city in Mexico where the alcohol was first produced 500 years ago.
2. Tequila is made from the hearts of the blue agave plant, native to in Mexico.
3. The hearts of the blue agave are steamed, pulverized, mixed with water, and fermented to produce tequila.
4. In order for a spirit to be called Tequila it must contain at least 51% blue agave.
5. Blue agave takes 8 years to get to a point where it can be harvested and distilled into tequila!
Source : Fooducate Blog : Read the whole story here.